Article 5 Restrictions of the personal freedom
3. Persons convicted to imprisonment are ensured human treatment and moral rehabilitation.
TITLE IX EXECUTION OF DECISIONS
CHAPTER I EXECUTION OF DECISIONS
Article 462 Enforceable decisions
1. The sentence of the court is brought for enforcement immediately after becoming final.
2. The decision of acquittal, exclusion of the tried person from punishment and the one for the dismissal of the case are brought for enforcement immediately after their announcement.
3. The following are final decisions:
a) the first instance court decision when it is not appealed by the parties within the legal time limit, when it is non-appealable or when the appeal is not admitted for the reasons provided for in article 420 of this Code. In cases with co-defendants, the decision shall become final for the defendant who has not filed an appeal, notwithstanding the appeal of other co-defendants, provided that the prosecutor has not filed an appeal. When the prosecutor has not filed an appeal and the case is examined on the basis of the appeal of other co-defendants, the decision shall become final for the defendant who has not filed an appeal in a trial with co-defendants, notwithstanding the appeal filed with by the other co-defendants;
b) the decision of the appeal court, when it finally settles the case, pursuant to letters “a”, “b” and “c” of paragraph 1, of article 428 of this Code;
c) the decision of the High Court in the cases of extradition and transfer of the sentenced persons.
4. The way of execution of the criminal decisions is regulated by special law.
TITLE IX EXECUTION OF DECISIONS
CHAPTER II HEARINGS BY THE COURT OF CASES RELATED TO THE EXECUTION OF DECISIONS
Article 476 Postponing the execution of decision
1. The court which has issued the conviction decision, upon request of the convicted person, the defence lawyer or of the prosecutor, may decide the postponement of the execution of the decision in the following cases:
a) when the convicted person suffers an illness, which constitutes an obstacle for the execution of the decision. The execution shall be postponed until the convicted person is recovered;
b) when the convicted person is pregnant or she has a baby under one year old. The execution shall be postponed until the child reaches the age of one year;
c) when the immediate serving of the punishment may bring serious consequences to the convicted person or his family. The postponement of the execution in these cases may not exceed six months;
ç) in any other case evaluated by the court as particular, in which case the execution is postponed up to three months.
2. Upon submission of the request, the court has the right to suspend the execution of the decision until that is examined.
3. The court shall reason the decision within 5 days. The decision may be appealed within 5 days. The court of appeal shall decide on the appeal within 10 days from the date of receipt of acts.
TITLE IX EXECUTION OF DECISIONS
CHAPTER III EXECUTION OF THE CRIMINAL DECISIONS
SECTION I EXECUTION OF FOREIGN CRIMINAL DECISIONS
Article 516 Determining the sanction
1. When recognising a foreign decision, the court determines the punishment to be served in the Albanian state. It converts the punishment imposed in the foreign decision into one of the punishments provided for the same fact by the Albanian law. This punishment must correspond, by nature, to the one which has been established in the foreign decision. The length of the punishment may not exceed the maximum term provided for the same fact by the Albanian law.
2. When the foreign decision does not specify the length of the punishment, the court establishes it based on the criteria indicated in the Criminal Code. In no case the imposed punishment may be higher than the one imposed by the recognized criminal decision.
3. When the execution of the punishment rendered in a foreign state has been conditionally suspended, the court, with the decision of recognition, in addition to other issues, rules also on the conditional suspension of the punishment. the court does the same when the defendant has been conditionally released in the foreign country.
4. In order to establish a punishment by fine, the amount indicated in the foreign decision shall be converted in equal value into Albanian currency, applying the exchange rate of the day on which the recognition was decided.
5. The decision of recognition regarding the execution of a confiscation shall also order the execution of the confiscation.
(a) A sentence of imprisonment shall be served in a State designated by the Court from a list of States which have indicated to the Court their willingness to accept sentenced persons.
(b) At the time of declaring its willingness to accept sentenced persons, a State may attach conditions to its acceptance as agreed by the Court and in accordance with this Part.
(c) A State designated in a particular case shall promptly inform the Court whether it accepts the Court's designation.
(a) The State of enforcement shall notify the Court of any circumstances, including the exercise of any conditions agreed under paragraph 1, which could materially affect the terms or extent of the imprisonment. The Court shall be given at least 45 days' notice of any such known or foreseeable circumstances. During this period, the State of enforcement shall take no action that might prejudice its obligations under article 110.
(b) Where the Court cannot agree to the circumstances referred to in subparagraph (a), it shall notify the State of enforcement and proceed in accordance with article 104, paragraph 1.
3. In exercising its discretion to make a designation under paragraph 1, the Court shall take into account the following:
(a) The principle that States Parties should share the responsibility for enforcing sentences of imprisonment, in accordance with principles of equitable distribution, as provided in the Rules of Procedure and Evidence;
(b) The application of widely accepted international treaty standards governing the treatment of prisoners;
(c) The views of the sentenced person;
(d) The nationality of the sentenced person;
(e) Such other factors regarding the circumstances of the crime or the person sentenced, or the effective enforcement of the sentence, as may be appropriate in designating the State of enforcement.
4. If no State is designated under paragraph 1, the sentence of imprisonment shall be served in a prison facility made available by the host State, in accordance with the conditions set out in the headquarters agreement referred to in article 3, paragraph 2. In such a case, the costs arising out of the enforcement of a sentence of imprisonment shall be borne by the Court.