Part Three. Court Proceedings
Section XIV. Execution of the Sentence
Chapter 46. Presentation of the Sentences, Rulings and Resolutions for Execution
Article 390. Entry of the Sentence into Force and Its Presentation for Execution
1. The sentence of the first instance court shall enter into legal force after an expiry of the term for filing an appeal against it in the statutory or in the cassation order, if it has not been appealed against by the parties.
2. The sentence of a court of the appeals instance shall enter into legal force after the expiry of the term of filing an appeal against it by way of cassation, unless it has been appealed against by the parties.
3. If a complaint or a presentation is filed by way of cassation, the sentence, unless it is cancelled by the court of the cassation instance, shall come into legal force on the day of passing the cassation ruling.
4. The sentence shall be presented for execution by the first instance court within three days from the day of its entry into legal force, or of the return of the criminal case from the court of the appeals or of the cassation instance.
Article 391. Entry of a Court Ruling or Resolution into Legal Force and Its Presentation for Execution
1. A ruling or a resolution of the court of the first or appeals instance shall enter into legal force and shall be presented for execution after an expiry of the term for filing an appeal against it by way of cassation, or on the day of passing the ruling by the court of the cassation instance.
2. The court's ruling or resolution, not subject to an appeal by way of cassation, shall enter into legal force and shall be presented to execution immediately.
3. The court ruling or resolution on the termination of the criminal case, passed in the course of the judicial proceedings on the criminal case, shall be subject to an immediate execution in that part of it, which concerns the release of the accused or of the defendant from custody.
4. The ruling of a court of the cassation instance shall enter into legal force as from the moment of its proclamation and may be revised only in accordance with the order, laid down by Chapters 48 and 49 of the present Code.
5. The ruling of a court of the cassation instance shall be presented to execution in the order, established by the fourth and the fifth parts of Article 388 of the present Code.
Article 392. Obligatory Nature of the Court Sentence, Ruling and Resolution
1. The sentence, ruling or resolution of the court shall be mandatory for all state power bodies, for the bodies of local self-government, for public associations, officials and the other natural and legal persons, and shall be subject to obligatory execution on the entire territory of the Russian Federation.
2. The non-execution of the court sentence, ruling or resolution shall entail liability, envisaged by Article 315 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation.
Article 393. Procedure for Presenting for Execution the Court Sentence, Ruling and Resolution
1. The presentation for execution of the sentence, ruling or resolution of the court shall be imposed upon the court, which has examined the criminal case in the first instance.
2. A copy of the sentence of conviction shall be directed by the judge or by the president of the court to that institution or to that body, upon which the execution of the punishment is imposed.
3. The appeals instance court shall be obliged to inform the institution or the body, upon which the execution of the punishment is imposed, about the decision it has adopted with respect to the person, held in custody.
4. If the sentence of the court of the first or appeals instance is altered when it is examined by way of cassation, to the copy of the sentence shall also be enclosed a copy of the ruling of the court of the cassation instance.
5. The institution or the body, upon which the execution of the punishment is imposed, shall immediately inform the court, which has passed the sentence of conviction, about its execution.
6. The institution or the body, upon which the execution of the sentence is imposed shall be obliged to notify the court, which has passed the sentence about the place where the convict is serving his term.
Article 394. Notification about the Presentation of the Sentence for Execution
1. After the entry into legal force of the sentence, in accordance with which the convict, held in custody, is sentenced to arrest or to the deprivation of freedom, the administration of the place of detention shall inform one of the convict's close relatives or relations of the place where he is sent to serve the sentence, in conformity with Article 75 of the Criminal-Executive Code of the Russian Federation.
2. In case of the satisfaction of the civil claim, the civil claimant and the civil defendant shall be informed about the presentation of the sentence to execution.
Article 395. Granting Relations a Meeting with the Convict
Before the sentence is presented for execution, the presiding judge of the court session on the criminal case or the president of the court shall grant at the request of the close relatives or of relations of the convict, held in custody, an opportunity to see him .
(a) A sentence of imprisonment shall be served in a State designated by the Court from a list of States which have indicated to the Court their willingness to accept sentenced persons.
(b) At the time of declaring its willingness to accept sentenced persons, a State may attach conditions to its acceptance as agreed by the Court and in accordance with this Part.
(c) A State designated in a particular case shall promptly inform the Court whether it accepts the Court's designation.
(a) The State of enforcement shall notify the Court of any circumstances, including the exercise of any conditions agreed under paragraph 1, which could materially affect the terms or extent of the imprisonment. The Court shall be given at least 45 days' notice of any such known or foreseeable circumstances. During this period, the State of enforcement shall take no action that might prejudice its obligations under article 110.
(b) Where the Court cannot agree to the circumstances referred to in subparagraph (a), it shall notify the State of enforcement and proceed in accordance with article 104, paragraph 1.
3. In exercising its discretion to make a designation under paragraph 1, the Court shall take into account the following:
(a) The principle that States Parties should share the responsibility for enforcing sentences of imprisonment, in accordance with principles of equitable distribution, as provided in the Rules of Procedure and Evidence;
(b) The application of widely accepted international treaty standards governing the treatment of prisoners;
(c) The views of the sentenced person;
(d) The nationality of the sentenced person;
(e) Such other factors regarding the circumstances of the crime or the person sentenced, or the effective enforcement of the sentence, as may be appropriate in designating the State of enforcement.
4. If no State is designated under paragraph 1, the sentence of imprisonment shall be served in a prison facility made available by the host State, in accordance with the conditions set out in the headquarters agreement referred to in article 3, paragraph 2. In such a case, the costs arising out of the enforcement of a sentence of imprisonment shall be borne by the Court.