PART IV – REQUEST FOR SPECIFIC FORMS OF LEGAL ASSISTANCE
15. Attendance of witness in requesting state
(1) A request under this Act may seek legal assistance in facilitating personal appearance as a witness before a court exercising jurisdiction in a requesting state.
(2) In making a request under subsection (1), a requesting state shall apply to the Central Authority at least thirty days prior to the date of appearance.
(3) In the event of urgency, the Central Authority may accept a shorter period of notice.
(4) The request under this section shall specify—
(a) the subject matter upon which it is desired to examine the witness;
(b) the date on which the appearance of the witness is required;
(c) the reasons why personal appearance of the witness is required; and
(d) details of the travelling, subsistence and other expenses payable by a requesting state in respect of personal appearance of the witness.
(5) The Central Authority shall notify a person, in accordance with Kenyan law, whose appearance as a witness in a requesting state is desired, and shall—
(a) enquire whether the person agrees to appear;
(b) inform a requesting state of the answer; and
(c) if the person is willing to appear, make appropriate arrangements to facilitate personal appearance of the witness.
(6) A person whose appearance as a witness is the subject of a request may refuse to appear as a witness where Kenya law, either permits such a refusal or does not make him a compellable witness.
(7) Where a refusal is based on the grounds contained in subsection (6), the Central Authority shall provide a requesting state with a certificate setting out the relevant statutory provisions which permits such a refusal or does not make the witness a compellable witness under Kenyan law.
(8) A person served with summons to appear as a witness in a requesting state and who fails to comply with the summons shall not by reason thereof be liable to any penalty or measure of compulsion in either Kenya or the requesting state notwithstanding any contrary statement in the summons.
1. States Parties shall, in accordance with the provisions of this Part and under procedures of national law, comply with requests by the Court to provide the following assistance in relation to investigations or prosecutions: