Extradition from Portugal
1. Under the circumstances described in paragraph 1 of Article 35, the person claimed may be temporarily surrendered for the purpose of procedural acts, in particular his trial, which the requesting State establishes cannot be postponed without it carrying serious prejudice, if the surrender does not in turn carry prejudice to the proceedings pending in Portugal and if the requesting State undertakes to return unconditionally the person concerned to Portugal once such procedural acts are terminated.
2. Where the person temporarily surrendered was serving a sentence, the enforcement of the latter shall be suspended as from the date of the surrender of the person to the requesting State and until the date of the surrender back of the person to the Portuguese authorities.
3. However, the duration of custody in the requesting State shall be deducted from the period that remains to be served in Portugal where such custody was not taken into consideration in that State.
4. Where surrender was postponed under the provisions of Article 35, for the purpose of the "Tribunal da Relação"l (court of appeal) assessing the requirements mentioned in paragraph 1 above, the request for temporary surrender is processed by way of appending the file to that of the extradition request. The Tribunal da Relação shall seek an opinion both from the court under whose authority the person is, and the Minister of Justice.
1. States Parties shall, in accordance with the provisions of this Part and under procedures of national law, comply with requests by the Court to provide the following assistance in relation to investigations or prosecutions:
(f) The temporary transfer of persons as provided in paragraph 7;
(a) The Court may request the temporary transfer of a person in custody for purposes of identification or for obtaining testimony or other assistance. The person may be transferred if the following conditions are fulfilled:
(i) The person freely gives his or her informed consent to the transfer; and
(ii) The requested State agrees to the transfer, subject to such conditions as that State and the Court may agree.
(b) The person being transferred shall remain in custody. When the purposes of the transfer have been fulfilled, the Court shall return the person without delay to the requested State.